The Club is divided up into four training squads that are graded to strict performance criteria by the Head Coach. Hard work and commitment are vital to development and movement through the squads will depend on both these factors as well as demonstrated talent. Training follows a Long Term Athlete Development (LTAD) model as recommended by Scottish Swimming and based on the World Class Start and Potential 200m IM programme.
Club night is on Friday evenings and all swimmers will swim during one of the squad training times. Attendance at sessions beyond the Friday club night is by invitation only. The decision on who trains when rests with the Head Coach, whose decision is final.
Club Night Pool Programme
Additional sessions are available on Sundays 8.55 – 9.55am, Mondays 6.30 – 8pm and Wednesdays 6.30 – 8pm. The usual session added in first is a Sunday morning. This is due to the structure to the training programme e.g. the one hour slot training is usually for swimmers to work on technique and skills such as turns and/or drills.
Swimmers allocated sessions beyond club nights plus Sunday must be strong enough to cope with the training load and pace, technically developed enough and actively competing outwith the club in-house competitions.
Unfortunately, during our mid-week sessions we only have half of the pool so numbers are restricted. Session allocation is reviewed termly and if no longer actively competing outwith club on a regular basis or have poor attendance, swimmers may have midweek sessions cut to allow devloping swimmers the chance of access to additional sessions. Squad criteria is listed against the various squads below. If you have any questions or concerns surrounding session allocation, please contact the committee through the club email account.
Click on the link to view the current NDASC training structure
Training Friday 4pm - 5pm. Bronze Squad are not expected to compete outwith club but may do so with Head Coach approval.
Level on LTAD: FUNdamentals and Swimskills.
- 2 x 50m of F/C, B/C and Brst.
- 2 x 25m undulative kick on front or back without floatation aid.
- 2 x 25m of F/C, B/C and Brst drill.
- Perform basic sculling both feet and head first.
- Perform a forward roll or F/C tumble turn if able.
- Perform a head first entry into the water from the side or block.
- Perform a correct, streamlined push and glide on front and back.
- Demonstrate an ability to climb out of deep water unaided.
- Demonstrate a willingness and ability to listen and be instructed.
Working towards: Silver Squad
Training Friday 5 – 6.30pm. Early competitive group.
Level on LTAD: Swimskills and Learning to Train
- Observe basic training principles such as lane discipline, use of the pace clock.
- Present for training sessions timeously, demonstrating ability to independently do dynamic flex preparation and appropriately prepared with cap/goggles/water bottle.
- Prepare and present for in-house competitions and competitions identified by and agreed with the Coaching Team within the graded system.
- Attendance >75%
- Ability to cover a distance of 1000m per hour in training (session design dependant).
- Swim 200m F/C continuously, holding stroke pattern and using bilateral breathing and tumble turns.
- Swim 100m B/C continuously, holding stroke pattern and using tumble turns.
- Swim 50m Breaststroke continuously, holding stroke pattern and legal kick and using appropriate turn.
- Swim 25m Butterfly with level undulating body, vertical leg action and with arms clearing the water.
- Perform racing start.
Working towards: Gold Squad and Junior Development of Highland Swim Team
Training Friday 5 - 6.30 (occassional competitor) or 6.30 - 8pm (active competitor)
Active competitive group, for those swimmers actively competing and working towards Junior Development Squads or Highland Swim Team National Squad and beyond. This group will also include some swimmers who have decided they do not wish to actively compete providing they still meet the criteria below.
Level on LTAD: Training to Train and Training to Compete.
- Demonstrate full understanding of the principles of lane discipline and use of pace clock.
- Present for training sessions timeously, participating in dynamic flex and well prepared with the appropriate equipment (cap/goggles/water bottle).
- Prepare and present for in-house, graded, district development and district competitions (as able) as identified and agreed with the Coaching Team.
- Attendance >75%
- Ability to cover a distance of 1500m per hour in training (session design dependant).
- Swim 400m F/C continuously, holding stroke pattern in accordance with SASA stroke laws and using bilateral breathing and tumble turns.
- Swim 200m B/C continuously, holding stroke pattern in accordance with SASA stroke laws and using tumble turns.
- Swim 100m Breaststroke continuously holding stroke pattern in accordance with SASA stroke laws and using appropriate turns.
- Swim 50m Butterfly continuously holding stroke pattern in accordance with SASA stroke laws and using appropriate turn.
- Swim 100m IM in accordance with SASA stroke laws and with legal turns.
- Perform all turns in accordance with SASA laws.
Working towards: Highland Swim Team, Highland Swim Team Junior Development Squads.
Gold Elite Squad
Training Friday 6.30 - 8pm.
Advanced competitive group.
Level on LTAD: Training to Train and Training to Compete. Some may be at Training to Win.
This squad is for swimmers who have identified talent and likely to progress, are actively competing and meet the following criteria:
- All of the criteria for Gold Squad plus:
- Actively participating in land training as recommended by the Head Coach, prioritising specifically the sessions with the clubs Lead Land Trainer, as available. (If swimmers are not attending the club based programme they must be working on an individualised gym programme approved by the Institute of Sport or Highland Swim Team National Coach).
- Selected into Highland Swim Team National Squad (some flexibility at coach discretion if likely to be in the squad in the ensuing 3 months)
- Selected into the District Regional Squads by Scottish Swimming.
- Selected into the DSE Scottish Senior Squad at a level able to cope with pace and intensity of training.